Board of Directors Meeting

April 19, 2013 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING 

Board of Directors Meeting

April 19, 2013

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, April 19, 2013, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Erin Smith, Wayne Ross, and Jim Jones. Anna Dvorak and Tyra Barnes were absent. Prior to the meeting, Tyra gave her proxy to Erin Smith for voting purposes at this meeting. Administrator Cindy Chapman was also present. There were no property owners in attendance.

Approval of the Agenda: The agenda was approved as published.

Approval of Minutes from March 15, 2013: Erin Smith moved to approve the March 15, 2013, minutes as presented. Wayne Ross seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Wayne Ross moved to approve the bills as presented. Jim Jones seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Administrator Cindy Chapman presented the following list of her activities for the last month:

Delivered 2013 Call for Water to Water Division III and Water Commissioner Phoned Richard Treichel and left message regarding the board’s decision not to take his lots for delinquent dues owed the Association. I have heard nothing back from him since leaving the message. Contacted WSB concerning 2012 Depreciation Schedule of Assets. Received them by email and forwarded to Wayne Ross for his committee’s review. Prepared letter to Peter West regarding the issuance of a Treasurer’s Deed for Unit 2, Block 27, Lot 2 @ 1.01 Acres on July 8, 2013, informing him that there are $875.00 in dues and collection fees owed on this lot that must be paid 15 days prior to the 7/8/13 issuance date. Prepared 159 reminder statements to property owners concerning approaching due date of 4/30/2013 for payment of 2013 dues. Email and certified letter with pictures sent to Genessee General Insurance showing proof of the installation of requested signs at Upper and Lower Lakes. 4 Lien Releases prepared for signing: Ripsam, Blakeney, Kelly, Roach. Emailed information to Lawrence Casserly about lot consolidation procedure. March month-end financials emailed to Wayne Ross for his review. March month-end collections reconciled with Carlton Collections. Emailed application from John and Tyra Barnes to A/C members for their review of the request to build a garage and pump house. Investigated the ownership of two lots transferred by Treasurer’s Deed to Antonio Garcia and Sandra Ortega (A & J Solar) from Steven Lotspeich and Michael Morales. Transfer was done on 9/26/2012 and Garcia/Ortega did not notify the ZHA office. Corrected the invoice sent to Garcia/Ortega for their 2013 dues with the addition of these two lots. Did a credit invoice to Michael Morales as he had not paid his 2013 dues and issued a refund check to Steven Lotspeich as he had paid his 2013 dues. I was able to contact Lotspeich by email about this situation and he was completely shocked but when I explained what had happened he understood but was not happy. Emailed Andrew Valdez lien release to his mortgage company per Andrew’s request. Emailed 2013 dues invoices to Steele and Hill as they notified me by email that they had not received their 2013 dues notices because of a change of address.

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes was absent for this meeting but sent in a report of her committee’s meeting held on April 9, 2013. There was not much discussed except for the application request from John and Tyra Barnes to build a garage and a small well house. Jack Zeman examined the area staked out for these two projects.

Communication: Chairman Tyra Barnes was absent for this meeting but sent in a report of her committee’s meeting held on April 9, 2013.

Because of the recent burglaries and for other communication purposes, a list was started of all homes in Zapata. It will be designed to list homes that are occupied full time and those that are vacant most of the time. John and Jack will be working together to put all Zapata resident and lot information into a single master database. This database should make it much easier for the Board and Cindy to contact and get information out to all Zapata property owners. Basically this is an effort to move forward in the technology age. There was quite a bit of discussion on how to improve the web page. John will slowly work on that. One of the things discussed was creating an e-mail contact for any Zapata resident to ask questions or get information on how to navigate the web page. - John mentioned the possibility of moving the ZHA into Facebook.

John also mentioned evaluating and purchasing software for use in sending text messages to cell phones, in the event of an emergency or fire. Several other ideas were discussed concerning the web page.

Create a way for someone to fill out a construction application on the web page. Have a bulletin board function on the web page. Create a heading, at the top of the web page, to place newsletter items.

Jack stated that he had compiled a list of permanent and seasonal homeowners on the subdivision. Also that recently there had been a gentleman visiting the subdivision going door-to-door who was acting very evasive and strange. He was asked to leave the subdivision.

Fees & Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross stated that his committee held a meeting on March 20, 2013. Topics of discussion were the review of current cash position and comparison of 2013 budget with previous budgets. Review cash reserve policies: Discussion of the three reserve categories followed: Capital Replacement Reserves; the major item in this category is culverts and after discussion it was decided to establish a count of the type and size of culverts and estimate the age and replacement cost and prepare a schedule the establish the mount required for this reserve category, Operating Reserves; This is described in the policies as minimum of 10% of the annual dues as a annual reserve for contingencies. The last category is Special Projects Reserve; this was established for the fire house project, but there are currently no amounts set aside. This should generally be used for large special projects and generally funded with a special assessment such as the assessment for the gate purchase and installation.

Liaison member with major committees including fire, water and physical improvements: Members volunteered or were appointed as a liaison to the major budget committees as follows: Suzanne to the Water Committee, John White to the Physical Improvements Committee and Wayne to the Fire Committee. The purpose is to create a more interactive budget process and gather information prior to setting the budget in September for the following year. There was a general consensus that the budget process be tightened up and more oversight on managing the process including the expenditures established by the budget.

Neighborhood watch and security camera at the gate: There was a general consensus that some steps need to be made to tighten up security in light of recent break-ins. John suggested a motion sensor camera and provided a website to review as a possible solution for monitoring traffic in and out of the gate and of the dumpster, if necessary.

The caretaker and a neighborhood watch program was discussed. No conclusions were reached but ideas included potential caretaker responsibilities including lightning patrol, checking on vacant residents and monitoring construction projects. A neighborhood watch program could be implemented with an overall coordinator and area monitors.

It was discussed if homeowners should be subsidized by the ZHA for fire mitigation on their personal property. The conclusion was no, but volunteer days could be organized to continue fire mitigation on greenbelts and common property.

There was discussion on the need to be more communicative and accountable for money spent by the ZHA. Perhaps a start can be to have the fees and budget liaison members be more involved in the budgeting process and monitoring throughout the next year. This would include periodic committee meetings and clear objectives and the costs to achieve as well as the time frame for longer projects.

The general feeling was without some major event requiring major funds that the ZHA should be able to operate on the current dues for the near term.

The next meeting date was not set but will be scheduled in June.

Fire:

▪Fire Mitigation:  Co-Chairman Jack Zeman stated that Tyra had

requested this agenda item to create a volunteer group to do fire mitigation on the subdivision, asking that property owners become more proactive in this issue. Jack stated that this is very hard work requiring many people with the necessary skills to bring down trees and remove brush. Jack is not comfortable turning this over to volunteers. This would be a huge undertaking involving the use of heavy equipment. Jack did state that small mitigation projects can be done using volunteers (cleaning trails, streambeds, etc.). Also clearing areas for possible gathering areas should a major fire occur for firefighting purposes is another area where volunteers could be used. There are several large areas of great concern on the subdivision that need to be identified as well as areas that need to be harvested on the greenbelts. A decision will need to be made for the 2014 budget for continued fire mitigation on the subdivision.

Jack stated that he had spoken with Jeff Gossage of the Zapata Ranch and Jeff stated that there is no intention of asking for the fire truck to be moved off of their property. More on the changes at Zapata Ranch will be discussed under Water.

Governance:

▪2nd Reading:  Revision of Policy 029.01 Zapata Zephyr Newsletter

& Website: Chairman Erin Smith stated that this policy has gone through the second reading at tonight’s meeting and is ready for the 3rd reading at the May 17, 2013, board meeting.

Physical Improvements and Maintenance: Chairman Jack Zeman stated that he had tried to start grading on the subdivision but heavy snow stopped the process. Grading will continue soon with completion this spring.

▪Caretaker Position:  Cindy emailed out the Caretaker Job

Description to board members earlier which Jack made edits to bring up-to-date with current required responsibilities. Tyra submitted her suggestions which Jack read to members present. Discussion was held and edits will be made which Cindy will email out for board review and this agenda item will be re-visited at the May board meeting. There may be a board member interested in filling this position if it becomes available and discussion was held on conflict of interest. Erin offered to bring the matter to the governance committee and perhaps checking with Erich. She was told to take it to the governance committee and then if the committee thought it was necessary to take it to Erich. She is to report at the May meeting.

Water: Chairman Jim Jones stated that he is not impressed or encouraged by Water Division III’s response to the commercial water issue on Unit III. He has since reviewed the 80CW32 decree. There are three parts: (1) Commercial water; (2) Dormitory water, and; (3) water for 870 single-family units on the subdivision. Erich filed Joinder request with the court so that the ZHA can join Bob Schultz and Carol Sperling in the commercial water issue. A denial was also sent with this Joinder as the ZHA does not want commercial wells taken away from Schultz and Sperling. Judge will be left with the decision. The ZHA wants no harm to come to Schultz and Sperling. The ZHA also wants allocation of water in Unit III to be based on use and not acres.

An update was given on recent events on the Zapata Ranch and TNC. There are no longer any TNC employees at the Ranch. Ranch managers will now be hired for different duties. Jack does not feel that TNC water will be managed any differently with the new management company but time will tell.

Welcome: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent and there was no report.

Old Business:

▪Security Camera:  Wayne handed out information on the security camera system he had researched. This system is battery operated; recordings are on an SD card and the camera is infrared for night recordings. The camera can be mounted where recording can be made on cars entering and exiting the subdivision. It can record cars traveling at up to 50 mph. A security case would be needed to protect the camera from vandalism and weather. The cost range is between $600-$1000. Discussion was held and Wayne was directed to finalize necessary requirements and total costs.

New Business:

▪2013 Strategic Plan/Mission Statement:  Jack made edits and sent

the 2012 Strategic Plan/Mission Statement out to board members for their input prior to tonight’s meeting. Discussion was held and a draft of the 2013 plan will be sent out for board review prior to the May board meeting with plans of adopting it at that time.

Action Items

Date

Assigned To

Due Date

4/19/2013

Caretaker Job Description Updated

Cindy

5/17/2013

4/19/2013

Conflict of Interest with Governance

Erin

5/17/2013

4/19/2013

Security Camera Requirements/Costs

Wayne

5/17/2013

4/19/2013

2013 Strategic Plan/Mission Statement Final Document

Cindy

5/17/2013

20-Minute Open Forum: Cindy informed board members that she will be gone the week of April 22-26, 2013, but will respond to emails as they come in.

Cindy also reminded board members to be looking for three volunteers for board positions to be elected at the August Annual Meeting.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting of the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, May 17, 2013, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.

Tyra Barnes, Secretary