Board of Directors Meeting

June 20, 2014 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING AgendaMinutes ZAPATA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION Board of Directors Meeting June 20, 2014

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, June 20, 2014, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Erin Smith, Wayne Ross and Anna Dvorak. Jim Jones arrived later in the meeting and his entrance will be recorded there. Tyra Barnes was absent but prior to the meeting gave her proxy to Erin Smith for voting purposes at this meeting. Administrator Cindy Chapman was present along with property owner George Freeman.

Approval of the Agenda: Betty Westbrook Consolidation Request will be added under New Business. The agenda was approved as published with the addition of the new agenda item.

Approval of Minutes from May 16, 2014: Wayne Ross moved to approve the May 16, 2014, minutes as presented. Anna Dvorak seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Board member Jim Jones entered the meeting at this time.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Wayne Ross moved to approve the bills as presented. Anna Dvorak seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Administrator Cindy Chapman provided the following list of her activities for the last month:

  1. Requested and received Certificate of Insurance to submit to the Department of Natural Resources for the recent grant received.

  2. Completed purchase of pheromone pouches from Synergy.

  3. Sent application approval from the BLM to Jack Zeman and prepared check in the amount of $1124.00 for payment of Category 4 non-refundable fee.

  4. Submitted request to Erich Schwiesow to review the proposed wording of the revision of Policy 009.04 prior to second reading at June board meeting. Per Erin’s request, forwarded this document on to Governance Committee members and ZHA Board for their review and input.

  5. Emailed end-of-month financials for May to Wayne Ross for his review.

  6. Reconciled end-of-month accounts with Carlton Collections.

  7. Prepared and submitted fire mitigation expenses to Adam Moore to receive remaining $5000.00 on last grant through Colorado State Forest Service.

  8. Sent follow up email to Amy Symons, attorney for the estate of Su-Lien Chang, to see when payment of dues would be coming. No response to date.

  9. Send 12/31/2013 Profit & Loss Statement to Insurance One in preparation of insurance policy renewals.

  10. Emailed 2014 Annual Meeting documents to board to review prior to sending out to membership.

Caretaker’s Report: Caretaker Jack Zeman presented a list of his activities for the last month:

· May 16 – June 20 – Begin checking upper lake, dam, drain system and culverts. Will meet with Mark Perry, Colorado State Dam Engineer June 25.

· May 18 – Clean out shunt in pipe to upper lake.

· May 19 – Met with Adam Moore and Larry Fuller, Walsenburg and Rueben Gingrich, La Jara about Timber Sale.

· May 20 – Lower Lake full upper lake above gate overflow, TFM at augmentation site ready.

· May 27 – South Zapata Creek is running began checking culverts and spill ways.

· May 31 – Fix road sign at Cross Timber. Started augmentation, took delivery of fish for lakes.

· June 1 – Met with Brit from Colorado State University Forest Resource office to explain mitigation plans for2014.

· June 7 – Met with TNC regarding opening gate at South Zapata and Hwy 150.

· June 8 – Pictures of proposed site for ditch crossing for emergency exit on Patti’s property.

· June 11 – Pictures of Tact E for mitigation project record.

· June 14 – Pictures of Tact F for mitigation project record.

· Filed additional forms for WRRG award; Contacted TNC regarding culvert on Patti’s land; took delivery of pouches and stored in Tyra’s freezer; wrote letter for DOT emergency exit application; filled out forms for CSFS grant monies.

Jack also stated that on 6/18 he spent two hours breaking down moving boxes at the dumpster. On 6/11 and 6/14 he took pictures of Tracts E and F to have pictures prior to the Conservation Corps work beginning in July. After work is completed he will take some after pictures as well.

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes was absent but Jack stated that approval had been made on the building application submitted by Marc Cirrincione. Construction has started with the foundation completed and concrete ready to pour.

Communication: Chairman Anna Dvorak passed around the Zapata Zephyr for board approval that will be mailed out to the membership with the Annual Meeting notices.

Fees & Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross stated that the income for 2014 is within $3,000.00 of the amount budgeted. Expenses are under budget at this time but with the upcoming fire mitigation, logging, etc., expenses will increase over the next months.

Fire: Member George Freeman presented information to board members about fire trailers that he has been building and proposes the ZHA buy at a cost of $800/each. These trailers hold 90 gallons of liquid in a pressurized tank that will provide ten minutes worth of fire protection to a structure prior to the fire department’s arrival. Discussion followed on alternatives available for private homeowners for fire protection. It was decided to have this as an agenda item for the July board meeting. George also had repaired 10-12 road signs around the subdivision.

· Update and New Emergency Exits: Jack reported that the BLM had conducted their cultural survey on 6/11/2014 but has not heard what results were found. The application for a state highway access permit has been completed and ready to submit to obtain an emergency access onto State Highway 150 from the subdivision. The real problem with this exit may lie in gaining access to drive over ditch controlled by TNC. Gaining this access will quite possibly hinge on what ruling is made by the water court judge. The Tract B exit is on hold until a response from the BLM.

· Pine Beetle Update: Pheromone pouches are being installed on Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine with more installation to come. The logger will be on the subdivision the week of 6/23/2014 for the timber removal and sale.

Jack reported that there was money left from the last grant the ZHA received of $5000.00 to other fire mitigation expenses of which the ZHA will receive $2500.00 back. The Department of Natural Resources has sent out a third offering for grant monies for defensible space on private property. Discussion was held on how best to handle this grant. Wayne will write up a draft for the board members to review and finalized prior to starting the application process this fall.

Jack wanted all members to be aware that on the eastern boundaries of the Sangres, mainly Axtel Canyon, there are a growing number of dead trees. The South Zapata Creek north boundary of 40 acres along BLM properties has just exploded with dead trees. This is very rugged terrain and the BLM has no money to budget for mitigation work. Jack will work with Jody de Jong to create a fire break between her property and where the dead trees begin to help should a fire start.

Governance:

· 2nd Reading – Policy 009.04 – Dues Assessment and Collection: Chairman Erin Smith presented revisions made by the ZHA attorney, Erich Schwiesow for members to review. Erich made quite extensive edits to make this policy adhere to new state regulations that took effect January 1, 2014. Cindy will compile all of the edits into a final document for a third reading at the July board meeting.

Physical Improvements and Maintenance: Jack reported that he had repaired a couple of street signs on the subdivision. The summer road grading/packing will be done around the middle of July, hopefully there will be moisture.

Water: Jack stated that he has been checking water pathways for plugged culverts. The new augmentation point has been running since May 31, 2014, and is working wonderfully. Only one plug after the revision were made.

Welcome: Chairman Anna Dvorak has no report.

Old Business:

There was no old business to come before the Board at this meeting.

New Business:

· Monthly Board Meetings: Discussion was raised about changing the number of board meetings over a year in hopes lessening monthly demands to encourage more members to serve as a board member. Wayne proposed the following yearly schedule: August, September, November, February, May and June. Special meeting, if required, can always be called. Wayne also pointed out that having an Administrator and Caretaker to handle more of the day-to-day business of the subdivision has helped relieve some of the load off of board members. This will be an agenda item and voted on at the Annual Meeting in August.

· Betty Westbrook Lot Consolidation Request: Betty Westbrook asked the Board to pass a resolution to consolidate the following lots: Unit 2, Block 40, Lot 4 @ 1.02 acres; Lot 12 @ .98 acres; and, Tract 1 @ 2.74 acres for a combined tract of 4.74 acres.

               Erin Smith moved to approve the above lot

consolidation request. Wayne Ross seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

ACTION ITEMS

Date Action Assigned To Due Date 10/18/2013 Organize Volunteer Work Day Tyra and Nancy Starling Ross ON-GOING 6/20/2014 Draft grant application process for private property owners creating defensible space Wayne Ross 7/18/2014 6/20/2014 Yearly Board Meeting Calendar to Annual Meeting Presentation Wayne Ross 8/2/2014 6/20/2014 Verizon Options Cindy Chapman 7/18/2014

20-Minute Open Forum: Cindy informed the Board that she has done some investigating with Verizon on alternative for remote board meeting attendance, etc. It was decided to have Cindy outline the options available and add this as an agenda item for the July board meeting.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting of the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, July 18, 2014, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.


Tyra Barnes, Secretary