Board of Directors Meeting

January 17, 2014 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING AgendaMinutes ZAPATA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION Board of Directors Meeting January 17, 2014

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, January 17, 2014, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Erin Smith, Wayne Ross, Tyra Barnes and Jim Jones. Anna Dvorak was absent. Administrator Cindy Chapman was also present. There were no property owners in attendance.

Approval of the Agenda: The agenda was approved as published.

Approval of Minutes from December 20, 2013: Tyra Barnes moved to approve the December 20, 2013, minutes as presented. Wayne Ross seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Wayne Ross moved to approve the bills as presented. Tyra Barnes seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Blair/Lindsay Lockwood Dues Request: In an email received from Blair Lockwood, he and his wife Lindsay requested that their 2014 dues be prorated as their lot consolidation request submitted to the ZHA and Alamosa County should be finalized by late February. Discussion was held with the Board stating that a consolidation must be finalized by December 31 prior to the next year’s dues billing.

Wayne Ross moved to decline the request made by Blair and Lindsay Lockwood to prorate their 2014 dues. Erin Smith seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Treasurer’s Deed Letter: Notification was received from the Alamosa County Treasurer that a Treasurer’s Deed will be issued to Joe Funk on 4/28/2014, for Unit 2-Block 45-Lot 9. A letter was presented for signatures notifying Mr. Funk of the amounts owed on this property that will need to be paid to the ZHA fifteen days prior to the 4/28/2014, issuance date. Jack informed the Board that Mr. Funk had requested them to consider a reduction or complete waiver of the delinquent dues/collection fees owed on this lot.

Wayne Ross moved to decline the request made by Joe Funk to reduce and/or waive the delinquent dues/collection fees owed on Unit 2-Block 45-Lot 9. Erin Smith seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator Cindy Chapman provided the following list of her activities for the last month:

Notified Charles Gray from Carlton Collections that the Board approved the settlement offer from Leigh Hinrichsen. Sent signature pages to Jen at Insurance One for renewal of general liability and umbrella insurance coverage for the coming year. Forwarded email from Amanda Winfrey to Board members for assistance in finding insurance coverage for their home on the subdivision. Emailed status letter to Allpine Title concerning property owned by Mary V. Williams whose lot closing is set for 1/10/2014. December financials emailed to Wayne Ross. 2013 QuickBooks file emailed to Wall, Smith, Bateman Inc. to begin tax preparation. Forwarded email on to Erin Smith, Chairman of the Governance Committee, concerning new legislation on collection of delinquent accounts effective 1/1/2014, to begin revision on Policy 09.03. Treasurer’s Deed letter prepared for mailing to Joe Funk concerning Unit 2, Block 45, Lot 9 delinquent dues owed to the Association that need to be paid 15 days prior to Treasurer’s Deed being issued on 4/28/2014. Notification from Wall, Smith, Bateman Inc. concerning the new tax code on capitalization of assets. Beginning in 2014, businesses will be required to adopt written accounting policies that establish a dollar amount that is used to determine whether the business will expense or capitalize property. The maximum amount that the IRS will allow for these policies is $500. Additionally, these policies need to be in writing and adopted by the business prior to January 1, 2014. 2014 dues invoices totaling $142,910.00 were mailed out to 366 members. 1099 tax forms prepared and ready to mail to vendors. 1096 tax form prepared and ready to report to the IRS.

Caretaker’s Report:

Caretaker Jack Zeman presented a list of his activities for the last month:

December 10 – Snow Plow 1.5 hrs – Urraca, Arrastre December 11 – Snow Plow 1.0 hrs – Brownell, Lockwood, Mercier December 22 – Snow Plow 3.0 hrs December 23 – Snow Plow 1.5 hrs December 26 – Snow Plow 0.5 hrs December 30 – Snow Plow 2.0 January 02 – Snow Plow 0.5 hrs January 03 – Snow Plow 0.5 hrs + Dumpster Check January 05 – Snow Plow 0.25 hrs – Arrastre January 08 – Snow Plow 1.5 hrs + Dumpster Check Total Hours Plowing 13.25

Jack also reported that he has been checking the dumpster periodically and found that a computer monitor had been thrown in. He took it out and will take to recycling in Alamosa as it is illegal to discard electronic devices in the dumpster. Jack will put temporary signs on the dumpster stating “NO ELECTRONICS ALLOWED IN THE DUMPSTER.”

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes stated there has been no activity over the past month.

Communication: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent and no report was submitted.

Fees & Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross reported that 2013 year-end cash was good. The two Reserve Accounts have been set up on the Balance Sheet.

Fire: Update and New Emergency Exits: Jack stated that he had sent the application forms required by the BLM to create emergency exits on their lands to Leon Montoya for his review and input if changes need to be made. Tyra handed out a summary report stating that contact had been made with property owners inquiring if they would grant easements through their lots for fire escape access routes.

Jack also reported that he, Rodney Smith, Erin, Wayne and Tyra attended the most recent Alamosa County Fire Protection District (ACFPD) board meeting. Jack stated that they were given a very good reception and that ACFPD is happy about this project being smaller that previously presented. The ACFPD is definitely willing to work with the ZHA on a firehouse. Also a more in-depth conversation was held on the ISO rating for the subdivision. The ACFPD board suggested that the fire chiefs for Alamosa County find out more information from ISO regarding the current rating and if a firehouse would indeed help lower this rating. Blaine Witherspoon, Fire Chief of Mosca-Hooper Fire Department has contacted ISO and the rating would drop but ISO could not state what the new rating would be. Blaine is now trying to make contact with an ISO representative closer to our geographic area.

Jack presented a map on the location of beetle kill trees on the subdivision. This is not a complete map and work is on-going. There seems to be a combination of trees in different stages before being completely dead on the subdivision. There will be a meeting on January 24, 2014, beginning at 10:00 AM at Tyra’s house to consolidate all of the information that has been gathered by the “tree scouts.” Jack also reported that Adam Moore has found someone who might be interested in harvesting these beetle kill trees to use in log home construction. It was also announced that on January 31, 2014, beginning at 10:00 AM at Tyra’s house, Adam Moore will present a workshop on how to identify beetle infested trees. Greenbelt F seems to have the greatest amount of beetle infested trees. Jack has contacted Russell Surveyors to flag the boundaries of Greenbelt F so that trees on the greenbelt can be identified and private property owners can be notified when mitigation begins. Jack stated that Greenbelt AA has quite a bit of dead fir trees, more than likely due to current drought conditions.

Tyra handed out a sheet outlining volunteer fire mitigation workdays. The first workday will be January 26, 2014, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. This notice will be posted to the website and placed on the entrance bulletin board.

Governance: 1st Reading – Policy 021.01 – Disposing of Land Acquired by the ZHA Revision: This revision is necessary to address the exchange of property owned by the ZHA for goods and/or services only after all other avenues to dispose of the property have been exhausted. Changes will be submitted to Erin so that a second reading of this policy can be held at the February 21, 2014, board meeting.

Erin stated that her committee would be meeting at 11:00 AM on January 20, 2014, at Nancy Starling Ross’ residence to review the new legislation concerning the collection of delinquent dues and the revision of the ZHA Policy 009.03.

Physical Improvements and Maintenance: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent but Jack stated that the only activity had been snow removal over the past month. The gate code will be changed beginning 7:00 am on January 31, 2014. The new code will be posted under the “Member Only” section of the website and the notice was also included on the 2014 dues invoices.

Water: Jack announced that on January 30, 2014, at 10:30 AM District Water Court Judge Swift will be hearing oral arguments concerning the ZHA commercial water.

Welcome: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent and no report was presented. Jack addressed the recent sale of Unit 2-Block 21-Lot 15, previously owned by John Ferguson. Jack feels that after talking with the real estate agent who sold this property, there may be some misinformation that has been given concerning future construction. Discussion was held and Jack will draft a letter to the new owner to clarify where this lot stands for future construction. A Welcome packet will also be included with the letter.

Old Business:

There was no old business to come before the Board at this meeting.

New Business:

There was no new business to come before the Board at this meeting.

ACTION ITEMS

Date

Action

Assigned To

Due Date

10/18/2013

Organize Volunteer Work Day

Tyra and Nancy Starling Ross

ON-GOING

12/20/2013

Chipper Rental Cost

Wayne Ross

2/21/2014

1/17/2014

Letter to new owner of U2-B21-Lot 15

Jack Zeman

ASAP

20-Minute Open Forum: Nothing was discussed.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting on the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, February 21, 2014, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.


Tyra Barnes, Secretary