Board of Directors Meeting

October 18, 2013 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING AgendaMinutes ZAPATA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION Board of Directors Meeting October 18, 2013

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, October 18, 2013, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Erin Smith, Wayne Ross and Tyra Barnes. Anna Dvorak was absent. Administrator Cindy Chapman was also present along with the following property owners: Jim Jones and Rodney Smith.

Approval of the Agenda: The following items were added to the agenda for discussion: Report from Adam Moore of Colorado State Forest Service on Pine Beetle Infestation, Report from Rodney Smith concerning contact with Alamosa County Fire Protection District and Request from George Freeman all under Fire Committee Report. Board Vacancy Appointment will be discussed after Approval of Board Meeting Minutes. Agenda was approved as amended.

Approval of Minutes from September 20, 2013: Wayne Ross moved to approve the September 20, 2013, minutes as presented. Tyra Barnes seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

New Business: •Board Vacancy Appointment: Jim Jones stepped forward and asked to fill one of the board vacancies for a three-year term.

Wayne Ross moved to appoint Jim Jones to a three-year term on the ZHA Board of Directors. Erin Smith seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Jack Zeman explained the bill from Southwest Conservation Corps in the amount of $7200.00 for fire mitigation work done on Tract E greenbelt. There was money left from the previous fire mitigation grant of $2460.62 which will be reimbursed to the ZHA from Colorado State Forest Service to offset a portion of this expense.

Wayne Ross moved to approve the bills as presented. Tyra Barnes seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Administrator Cindy Chapman provided the following list of her activities for the last month:

Delivered lot consolidation resolutions for Lindsay Lockwood and Walter Schwalm to Alamosa County Land Use. Parrott/Jacobs new building plans mailed to Tyra Barnes for A/C approval. September month-end financials emailed to Wayne Ross for his review. Prepared 2014 budget matrix to be mailed to membership after October board meeting. Reviewed Alamosa County Treasurer’s Tax Lien Sale Notice. There are 23 property owners with a total of 39 lots listed. A/C approval sent to Alamosa County Land Use on the Parrott/Jacobs construction project. Also called Michael Bennett to notify him of the approval. Phone request for a payment plan from Sylvia Mitchell. I informed her of the policy in place to ask for payment plans by April 15th of each year. I did tell her that if she wanted, she could submit something in writing to the ZHA board for me to present at an upcoming board meeting. Nothing heard from her since. Reconciled September month-end A/R with Carlton Collections.

•Vacation Requests: November 25-30, 2013 and January 2-10, 2014: Erin Smith moved to approve the vacations requests as noted above. Wayne Ross seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Caretaker’s Report: Caretaker Jack Zeman provided the following list of his activities for the last month:

September 24 – Met with Tracy (Crabtree Engineer) at Upper Lake. September 26 – Remove Plexi-glass from Bulletin Boards and ordered replacement. September 27 – Pick up Plexi-glass at Houge’s. September 28 – Installed Plexi-glass in Bulletin Boards. October 5 – Scout Lot pins for Mitigation on Entrance Loop. October 7 – Start Mitigation on Entrance Loop. Met with Todd Loubsk, SCC Field Director, to review mitigation sites on Greenbelts. Exchange emails with Jody @ SCC and sign contract. October 9 – Mitigation on Entrance Loop. Met with Adam Moore to survey Greenbelts to create Rx for SCC to follow. Surveyed condition of large pines that are dying. October 10 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop. October 11 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop. Met with SCC Crew Leaders from SCC, discussed CSFS Rx for mitigation. October 12 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop and observe SCC work. October 14 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop and observe SCC work. October 15 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop and observe SCC work. October 17 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop. October 18 – Mitigate on Entrance Loop.

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes reported that the updated building plans submitted by Jeff Parrott and Jeff Jacobs have been approved and sent on to Alamosa County Land Use so that a building permit can be issued.

Communications: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent but Tyra Barnes reported that John Barnes had been working on simplifying the navigation of the current website. She explained that the current content management system is very complicated and a suggestion has been made to switch to a simpler system. Discussion followed on what this switch would cost and getting this amount put into the 2014 Budget. A budget amount of $3000.00 will be added to the 2014 Budget under Website Design.

Fees & Budget: •2014 Operating Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross stated that his committee had met along with Jim Jones and Jack Zeman to go over the proposed 2014 Budget. Jack had explained the fire mitigation budget and proposed escape routes. John White brought up that studies may need to be made concerning Native American relics that might be found during construction (especially around the area of the proposed northwest exit). Wayne’s committee also decided to set up two reserve accounts in 2014: Operating Reserve of $12,400.00 (10% of Dues per Policy 019.00) and Replacement Reserve of $15,000 (primarily for culvert replacement). This proposed budget will be posted to the website and mailed to the membership for their review and input at the November 15, 2013, board meeting.

Fire: •George Freeman Sign Request: Tyra stated that George Freeman had approached her on ideas for fire safety: 1) check on the condition of the foam/water trailer currently owned by the ZHA to see if it is in operating order. Mr. Freeman would like to see 3 or 4 put in designated areas on the subdivision. Discussion followed with Tyra being charged to contact Mr. Freeman and have him research costs and send information on the costs to the Fire Committee or the Board; 2) refurbish the wooden road signs now in place on the subdivision instead of replacing them with metal signs. This would be less expensive. Tyra brought pictures of signs that Mr. Freeman had refurbished for Lake of the Falls and Rosewood Place to show an example of materials used and finished product.

Erin Smith moved to have George Freeman begin refurbishing the current subdivision road signs over a one-year period along Lake of the Falls and to submit bills to the ZHA for materials used for payment. Jim Jones seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

•Southwest Conservation Corps Mitigation: Jack reported that the SCC had been working on the subdivision Saturday, October 12 through Tuesday, October 15, 2013. They did fire mitigation on the Tract E greenbelt area that runs parallel with South Zapata Creek. There was a bit of a problem scheduling the crew but overall Jack was impressed with the amount of work that was done. In conjunction during this mitigation work, Jack had Adam Moore from Colorado State Forest Service look at the adjoining service road in this area and Adam provided Jack with a document for Prescription for Fire Mitigation which will be posted on the website. Future mitigation sites were evaluated. Tyra and Nancy Starling Ross will also be announcing a volunteer work day sometime in November along Hampton Run.

•Pine Beetle Infestation Report: While Adam Moore was on the subdivision, he and Jack looked at the dead ponderosas on the BLM Exception bordering the subdivision. The ponderosas along with the Douglas fir are infested with pine beetles as well as the fir trees on Troy Campbell’s property. Mr. Campbell has lost 30-40 trees recently to pine beetle. There are a number of areas on the subdivision that have active infestation. Jack will put a map together pinpointing these infestation areas for Adam. Adam since then had sent Jack information for mitigating this pine beetle infestation. This document was provided to the Board and will be put on the website with the recommended prescription for removing these beetles. A notice of this problem will also be included with the 2014 Budget mailing to the membership. Discussion was then held on how to proceed with this infestation problem as all of the infected trees are very, very large.

•Alamosa County Fire Protection District-Rodney Smith: Jack stated that the Fire Committee had charged Rodney Smith to approach the Alamosa County Fire Protection District (ACFPD) on the probability of building a fire station on the subdivision. Rodney contacted Justin Rogers, a new ACFPD board member, to start discussions again on constructing a building to house the engine now on TNC property. Rodney also talked with the Chief of the Blanca City Fire Department for an opinion on having subdivision residents certified to serve as volunteer fire fighters and the Chief agreed there should be trained fire fighters on the subdivision to serve on the fire department covering the subdivision. This had also been stated previously by Mosca/Hooper Fire Department. Rodney, as the next contact, spoke with Greg Higel, Chairman of ACFPD. Mr. Higel told Rodney that a smaller project would be a lot easier to swallow than what had been previously presented. Mr. Higel was receptive to a presentation being made by the ZHA on a proposed fire station to ACFPD at some point in the future. Mr. Higel also stated that he does not see having ZHA residents serving as volunteer fire fighters as a prerequisite to erecting a fire station at this point in time. Jack asked Rodney to contact area steel building contractors to obtain some rough price estimates for a fire station. There will be a Fire Committee meeting held sometime after November 4, 2013.

•Update and New Emergency Exits: Work continues on this project. Leon Montoya from the BLM will GPS the proposed exits on November 6, 2013. The northwest exit is highly probable for finding Native American artifacts and Jack will discuss this issue with Mr. Montoya.

Governance: Chairman Erin Smith stated that her committee will meet sometime in December.

Physical Improvements & Maintenance: Chairman Anna Dvorak was absent. Jack informed members that Forrest Ketchin had issued a complaint on the son of the renter of Bette Johnson’s property for recklessly riding a dirt bike around the subdivision. Jack stated that he had warned this boy before about his reckless driving but will approach him again. Jack also stated that he had developed maps of the subdivision showing the road grading schedules from this fall through next summer. Also Jack provided a project sheet where road base will be installed over the next few years for continued road improvements.

Water: Jack stated that the 2014 Augmentation Report has been completed and will be filed with Water Division III.

Welcome: No report.

Old Business:

There was no old business to come before the Board at this meeting.

ACTION ITEMS

Date Action Assigned To Due Date 8/03/2013 Tree Survey with CSFS Jack 11/15/2013 10/18/2013 2014 Budget/Pine Beetle Infestation Notice to Membership Jack/Cindy ASAP 10/18/2013 Notify G. Freeman to Start Sign Refurbishing/Research Cost of Fire Trailers Tyra ASAP 10/18/2013 Organize Volunteer Work Day Tyra and Nancy Starling Ross ASAP 10/18/2013 2014 Augmentation Report to WD III Cindy ASAP

20-Minute Open Forum: Nothing was discussed.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting of the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, November 15, 2013, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.


Tyra Barnes, Secretary