Board of Directors Meeting

September 19, 2014 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING AgendaMinutes ZAPATA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION Board of Directors Meeting September 19, 2014

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, September 19, 2014, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Wayne Ross, Tyra Barnes, Anna Dvorak, John White and Troy Campbell. Member Erin Smith was absent but prior to the meeting, gave her proxy to Wayne Ross for voting purposes during the meeting. Administrator Cindy Chapman was present along with property owner John Barnes.

Approval of the Agenda: The agenda was approved as published.

Approval of Minutes from August 15, 2014: Tyra Barnes moved to approve the August 15, 2014, minutes as presented. Wayne Ross seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Wayne Ross moved to approve the bills as presented. Anna Dvorak seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Administrator Cindy Chapman provided the following list of her activities for the last month:

  1. Delivered Needham consolidation approval to Alamosa County Land Use.
  2. Emailed preliminary budget spreadsheets to Wayne Ross to prepare for 2015 budget meetings.
  3. Shed application received from Doug and Pam George. Sent on to A/C members for their review and approval.
  4. Sent status letters to Allpine Title concerning Unit 2-Block 25-Lots 1 and 2.
  5. August month-end financials emailed to Wayne Ross for his review.
  6. August month-end reconciliation completed with Carlton Collections.
  7. Received preliminary 2015 budgets from Wayne Ross and completed budget matrix to be mailed out to the membership.

Cindy also thanked the Board for their support and condolences during the recent loss of her mother.

Caretaker’s Report: Caretaker Jack Zeman presented a list of his activities for the last month.

August 14 – 30 – Trim branches overhanging roads September 1 - 10 – Observe/coordinate Conservation Corps activities September 11 – 18 – Trim branches overhanging roads September 15 – 19 – Observe/coordinate mastication on Greenbelts E and F and burn pile.

Jack stated that the majority of his time this past month has been working with the Southwest Conservation Corps and observing the mastication of the greenbelts. Greenbelt E is almost completed and the wood recovery lot will be done next. The budget for this mastication work is $15,000.00 which is for 44 hours of machine time. The ZHA is only charged when the machine is actually working. Jack is very pleased with the amount of work and the results of the mastication process. It would have cost approximately $30,000.00-$35,000.00 if the slash had been removed the old way. This process is also good the soil renewal.

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes stated that a shed application had been submitted by Doug and Pam George, which the committee approved.

An email was received from Gary DeSpain which contained his observations of what he believed to be subdivision violations. The committee met on September 16, 2014, to discuss this email. Tyra drafted a response letter to Mr. DeSpain for Board review and input. John White suggested asking Mr. DeSpain what he would like to see as the outcome to his observations. Observations are taken seriously by both the Architecture Committee and Board members and a discussion of what is allowable and what is unallowable needs to be held and if Mr. DeSpain does not agree, then he will need to follow the Dispute Resolution policy in place.

Discussion was then held on the ZHA shed that George Freeman had moved from its original location to the new location on the right-of-way on Axtell, without first asking and/or obtaining permission for the shed to be moved. Mr. Freeman assumed that since this shed housed previous ZHA fire equipment, it was okay for him to move to house the new fire trailer. Mr. Freeman has also been working on the appearance of the shed without obtaining and/or following current Architectural Guidelines. It was decided to have the Architecture Committee draw up their recommendations and work jointly with the Fire Committee to decide on the best location for the fire trailer.

Communication: Chairman Anna Dvorak stated there have been additional complaints from property owners trying to log on to the website. She is working with Shane on this issue to make the website easier for all users to access information. Anna will be preparing a short newsletter to include with the 2015 budget mailing.

Fees & Budget:

2015 Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross stated that his committee met on September 9, 2014, to look at budgets presented by committee chairmen and to put together their recommendations for next year’s budget. The grant receivable of $25,000 was included in the budget figures under fire which will be used for ongoing fire mitigation. The proposed budget figures presented by the Fees & Budget Committee were reviewed and the budget matrix will be completed for mailing to the membership for their input at the November 21, 2014, board meeting.

Wayne stated that the committee had held a preliminary discussion on an equitable fee structure for property owners. Discussion was held on perhaps having one fee for sub-acre lots, another fee for property under 5 acres, another fee for property over 5 acres and then another fee for properties with homes. The committee will do some research and bring back recommendations for Board input. The committee also held discussion on sub-acre lots in arrears on dues that if the property owner paid the delinquent dues owed for the prior 2-3 years, then all other delinquent dues would be waived. Options will be evaluated by the governance committee prior to bringing a recommendation to the Board.

The 2015 Strategic Plan/Mission Statement was updated by Jack and he asked that board members make their edits so that this can be mailed out with the 2015 Budget.

Fire: Jack reported that the Southwest Conservation Corps completed the last round of mitigation work on the subdivision the first part of September. A BBQ was held at the Ross residence with help from Mark Seaton and Suzanne DeVore, to thank the crew for all of their hard work on the subdivision. Greenbelt F was the main focus of the mitigation during this last round. Adam Moore, District Forester, contacted Jack concerning a notice received from the Director of the Southwest Conservation Corps that the Corps would do free mitigation work for an organization in exchange for using their property to train new Corps members. The only requirement is that the organization provide a camping site for Corps members during the training.

Jack will write an article for the upcoming Newsletter concerning the defensible space grant requirements for individual property owners.

A final accounting was received concerning the recent timber sale. The ZHA will be receiving an additional $1,290.62 in funds from the sale. Jack stated that loggers are having a hard time finding mills to take logs, which could hinder future timber sales.

A request for assistance was recently received from the Colorado State Forest Service to help with updating their Forest Action Plan (FAP). The closest scheduled meeting will be held in Salida on Thursday, October 2, 2014. Jack and Wayne have sent in their RSVP’s. Any additional Fire Committee or Board members who would like to attend, should let Jack know so that RSVP’s can be made. Input from these meetings go back to the Governor to pinpoint areas needing fire mitigation.

Governance: Chairman Erin Smith was absent and there was no report.

Physical Improvements and Maintenance: Jack reported not much activity over the past month. He will be surveying all of the culverts on the subdivision to see what needs to be replaced, if any.

Water: Chairman John White stated that over the last month, Jack took him on a tour of the subdivision so that he can become familiar with all of the water sources and their locations. His committee also held a brief meeting to put their 2015 budget request in. John was informed that the water judge still has not issued a response on commercial water. Jack also informed John that the 2014 water usage report will need to be filed in October with Water Division III.

Welcome: Chairman Troy Campbell had no report.

Old Business:

There was no old business to come before the Board at this meeting.

New Business:

Culvert Replacement Lake of the Falls: A culvert located on Lake of the Falls right-of-way had to be replaced after the recent flood damage in late July. After discussion, it was decided to look at each case individually concerning culvert replacement as they occur but to revise the Architecture Guidelines to accommodate for these types of situations to allow for consistent treatment in the future.

ACTION ITEMS

DATE ACTION ASSIGNED TO DUE DATE 10/18/2013 Organize Volunteer Work Days Tyra and Nancy Starling Ross ON-GOING 8/15/2014 Bylaws Wording Change Number of Board Meetings/Year Governance 11/21/2014 9/19/2014 D-Space Newsletter Article Jack 10/1/2014 9/19/2014 2014 Water Usage John/Water Committee October, 2014 9/19/2014 Subdivision Culvert Survey Jack/Physical Improvements Committee December, 2014 9/19/2014 Newsletter Articles Anna/Communications Committee 10/1/2014 9/19/2014 Culverts ZHA Architectural Guidelines Board 11/21/2014 9/19/2014 Greenbelt/Off-Road Vehicle Policy Governance 11/21/2014

20-Minute Open Forum: There appears to be more off-road vehicles usage on the subdivision greenbelts. It was decided to have Governance look into developing a policy to address this issue.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting of the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, November 21, 2014, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.


Tyra Barnes, Secretary