Board of Directors Meeting

June 21, 2013 - 5:30pm - 7:30pm MOSCA COMMUNITY BUILDING AgendaMinutes ZAPATA HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Board of Directors Meeting

June 21, 2013

Call to Order: The Board of Directors for the Zapata Homeowners Association held its regular meeting, Friday, June 21, 2013, at the Mosca Community Building at 5:30 PM.

Board Members Present: Jack Zeman, Erin Smith, Tyra Barnes, and Jim Jones. Wayne Ross, Anna Dvorak and Administrator Cindy Chapman were absent. Prior to the meeting, Anna Dvorak gave her proxy to Tyra Barnes and Wayne Ross gave his proxy to Erin Smith for voting purposes at this meeting. There were no property owners in attendance.

Approval of the Agenda: The agenda was approved as published.

Approval of Minutes from May 17, 2013: Tyra Barnes moved to approve the May 17, 2013, minutes as presented. Jim Jones seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Approval of Bills to be Paid: Jack Zeman stated that 225 pounds of trout had recently been put into both the Lower and Upper Lakes. One-third was put into the Upper Lake and two-thirds were put into the Lower Lake. There were even a few trophy fish included.

Jim Jones moved to approve the bills as presented.  Tyra Barnes

seconded and the motion carried unanimously.

Administrator’s Report: Administrator Cindy Chapman provided the following list of her activities for the last month:

Delivered A/C approval for Ross solar panel installation to Alamosa County Land Use Office. Finalized and circulated 2013 Strategic Plan to board members for their approval and then had it posted to the website. Circulated 2013 Annual Meeting documents to board members for their review prior to the June board meeting. Forwarded email to board members concerning the Blanca Wetlands Environmental Assessment for public comment prior to August 1, 2013. Sent status letter of dues paid to San Luis Valley Title prior to sale of lot by Walter Schwalm. Engagement Letter received from Martinez and Associates for 2012 Financial Review. All necessary documents and QuickBooks file delivered to begin 2012 Financial Review. May financials sent to Wayne Ross for his review. May monthly reconciliation completed with Carlton Company. Spoke with La Jara Trading Post concerning late fees assessed to our account after a recent purchase. The bookkeeper informed me that payments must be received by the 5th of the month following a charge which our payment had not and that they would not waive the late fee on our account at this time. I explained that the ZHA board meets the third Friday of each month and there would be no way that payments could be paid by the 5th of the next month and tried to negotiate another due date. They absolutely refused to work with us so I was forced to close the account with them. Two lien releases (Beebe and Hinshaw) and one partial release (Pitman) prepared for filing. 2013 Fishing Permit posted under “Members Only” section on the website. Finalized 2013 Annual Meeting notification documents. Submitted to printer along with the July Newsletter to be printed and mailed to membership.

Discussion was held on the La Jara Trading Post issue in Item #9 and the Board agreed that this account would need to be closed.

Since fish have recently been added to both lakes, Cindy posted the 2013 fishing permit under the “Members Only” section of the website. The Engagement Letter from Martinez and Associates for the 2012 Financial Review was signed.

The Blanca Wildlife Wetlands Environmental Assessment item was also discussed and apparently there are water rights to expand these wetlands. The deadline for public input on this issue is August 1, 2013. Jack Zeman will call Mark Smith to ask why no water is in San Luis State Park (previously known as San Luis Lakes) and if this will be permanent. Jim Jones stated that water should be put into the lakes because of the Closed Basin project.

Committee Reports:

Architecture: Chairman Tyra Barnes stated than an application from Wayne and Nancy Starling Ross for photovoltaic panels to their roof for solar has been approved and sent on to Alamosa County Land Use.

Erin presented a letter she had drafted to be sent to John Ferguson concerning his variance status. Discussion followed concerning progress made by Ferguson on his construction. Tyra stated that John Barnes has talked with Ferguson and the forms are in place and need to be inspected. The Architecture Committee will need to stay on top of this project to make sure all guidelines and deadlines are followed.

Jim Jones moved to approve the letter written by Erin Smith to

John Ferguson. Tyra Barnes seconded. Erin Smith, Tyra Barnes, Jim Jones, Anna Dvorak by proxy and Wayne Ross by proxy voted in favor. Motion carried.

Communication: Chairman Tyra Barnes stated that the Newsletter has been completed and mailed to the membership. Tyra is also gathering more information on the Neighborhood Watch Program. Gary Spangler is no longer the head of this program and is now being handled by Lisa Benavides and Tyra has talked with Lisa about safety training programs that have been offered in the past. Lisa will contact Spangler on this and get back with Tyra.

Fees & Budget: Chairman Wayne Ross was absent. Financial reports will suffice for a report for this meeting.

Fire: Chairman Jack Zeman gave an update on a recent email received from Jeff Burns that he has available $9 million in matching grant funds recently released for fire mitigation work. The deadline is July 17, 2013, to make an application. Jack would like approval to submit an application for $14,000 for fire mitigation and another application for $15,000 to $20,000 for removal of slash/hauling away (1/2 on this expense will be reimbursed by grant monies). The ZHA is not allowed to do mitigation work on private property. Jack’s understanding is that this grant money is available to Associations but private defensible space, in the past, has not been grant funded through the Forest Service. Jack will find out more information and report back. If private individuals can be included in this grant, then the grant application can be amended to include private individuals.

•Fire Mitigation Resource Southwest Conservation Corps:  Jack

would like to have Southwest Conservation Corps do the mitigation work stated above. There are some mitigation monies available in this year’s budget. Project mentioned above would not be done in this year’s budget cycle but look at including in 2014 budget. If the desire is to move forward before hearing on grant money, then this work would need to be a special project. Special Project Proposal: Fire Mitigation by Southwest Conservation Corps will be an agenda item for the July board meeting.

•Fire Siren Update:  Jack stated he is having no luck with

government entities in turning the siren on. The Colorado State Office of Information Technology has the ZHA application to turn the fire siren on. Because the Reverse 911 calls are coming out of a state facility, Mosca-Hooper needs to sign to get the service re-instated. Our radio at siren site is capable of receiving any signal that the state is sending out. The state has to get a radio to send the signal and the cost is being determined now. There will have to be a support agreement in place and Jack will hear back from them within two weeks.

Governance:

•3rd Reading:  Revision of Policy 029.01 Zapata Zephyr Newsletter

& Website: Third reading cannot be approved without all board members present or giving a proxy specifically for voting on this issue. Erin was asked to send out an email to all board members specifically sending in their vote on this third reading at the July board meeting.

The above process was mentioned to the ZHA attorney and he feels this policy is very cumbersome. Jack stated that most boards have the power to act on behalf of the membership on a day-to-day basis with no restriction to have all board members present or designate a proxy to vote on a third reading of a new or revised policy.

Physical Improvements and Maintenance:

•Caretaker Position:  Most current version of the Caretaker Job

Description had been provided for tonight’s meeting.

Erin Smith moved to approve the Caretaker Job Description as

presented. Tyra Barnes seconded. Erin Smith, Tyra Barnes, Jim Jones, Anna Dvorak by proxy and Wayne Ross by proxy voted in favor. Motion carried.

The next step in the process would be to interview and hire a Caretaker. A notification will be posted on the website and the entrance bulletin board for members’ information asking anyone knowing of an interested party for this job, to have them visit the ZHA website to obtain an application and then submit this application along with a resume to Administrator Cindy Chapman. The ideal applicant would be someone who lives on the subdivision. The position announcement will be written in a form of an article written by Erin with review by Tyra and Cindy and then posted to the website. Interested parties should contact Cindy. Cindy will also send this notice by email to all members who she has an email address for.

•One-Way Signage:  Jack stated that he had received an email from

Bob Schultz that a young person on a motor bike had run into Bob’s daughter-in-law in her vehicle. Jack would suggest installing signage on the entrance and exit roads of the subdivision with “Wrong Way” wording. Jack has asked Keith McGowan if the Department of Transportation recycles this type of sign and Keith gave Jack a contact person to find out if available and at what price; Jack will do it soon.

Water: Chairman Jim Jones stated that Cooley finished the work required on the Upper Lake. Now the state will need to inspect the work done and sign off on the project so more water can be added to keep the fish happy. When the inspection is done by the ZHA engineer and State Engineer to verify that all work has been done correctly, hopefully within a short period of time, preliminary approval could be given to start filling the lake prior to receiving the final approval. Erin asked if there will be more cost incurred with all of the latest work done. Jack stated that it was a bid job but Jack feels that all of the latest required work was not all Cooley’s fault but were changes made by the State Engineer. Jack has asked Cooley to put a bill together with all of the costs incurred at which time Jack will bring it to the Board to obtain permission to pay half of the cost.

Jim stated that his committee will not have their quarterly meeting as everyone was too busy to agree on a meeting time.

The TNC had indicated that they were going to test surge flooding of the south ditch that runs from the Lower Lake all along Highway 150. When Stewart originally built the subdivision, one of his intentions was to use this water to surge flood those pastures. TNC is now interested in testing to see if it is viable. Due to the low water level, TNC has decided not to do this surge flooding as it would drop the level of the Lower Lake too far.

Jack has been doing augmentation since May 3, 2013. It is still holding but the water in the ditch has started to drop about an inch a day. Jack keeps adjusting the head gate to keep the water flowing at a 100 gallons/minute. Bob Schultz has indicated that a screw gate should be installed but Jim does not think it is serious enough to replace as this project has never or will never be right.

Welcome: Chairman Anna Dvorak was not present. No report.

Old Business:

•Security Camera:  Erin stated that Wayne will order the approved

security camera and have it installed.

New Business:

•Late/Lien Fee Waiver Requests:  Valentine and Russell:

Discussion was held that policy has been not to waive late/lien fees. The current policy states that if payment cannot be made by April 30, a payment plan can be requested of the Board. If the late/lien fees are too much to pay at one time, then permission can be obtained for a payment plan.

Jim Jones moved to deny waiving of late/lien fees for Randy

Valentine and Jocelyn Russell. Each party can apply to extend payment of these late/lien fees. Also reiterate to each party that payment plans must be requested by April 30 of each year by submitting a written request to the Administrator. Tyra Barnes seconded. Erin Smith, Tyra Barnes, Jim Jones, Wayne Ross by proxy and Anna Dvorak by proxy voted in favor. Motion carried.

Action Items

Date

Assigned To

Due Date

6/21/2013

Fire Mitigation Grant Applications

Jack

7/17/2013

6/21/2013

Caretaker Posting on Website

Cindy

7/17/2013

Reply Letters to Valentine and Russell

Cindy

ASAP

20-Minute Open Forum:

Erin Smith: Requested that gate be open on June 30, 2013, from 3:30 to 5:30 PM.

Tyra Barnes: Wayne has suggested that the volunteer group get organized and going just to see what the volunteer numbers are. Tyra getting board direction to begin by meeting with Nancy Starling Ross to see if Nancy wants to be the volunteer coordinator. It was discussed that Felicia Stonedale’s property is the ideal place to observe the subdivision. Jack stated that if he was assigned for fire watch, he would ask Felicia’s permission to sit on her deck for his watch. Board directed Tyra to go for it.

Adjournment: The next regular board meeting of the Zapata Homeowners Association will be held on Friday, July 19, 2013, at 5:30 PM at the Mosca Community Building.


Tyra Barnes, Secretary