Zapata HOA

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Choices, Choices.

T O
(@to)
Member Admin

Does anyone who lives in the Zapata have a opinion on their internet service? Who do you currently have and what has your experience been lately, say, over the past year?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 14, 2021 11:23 am
(@leezak)
Member Moderator

I use Viasat and Verizon hotspot as a backup when there are outages, which is rare. Alex and I both work from home full time. Both our jobs require streaming audio/video and my work requires using a VPN. I am able to use Zoom (with video) and query cloud databases without issues. We don't stream videos in high resolution (usually stick to 144p), but streaming podcasts works just fine. 

On occasion Viasat is slow and we have to turn Wi-fi off on our mobile devices to conserve bandwidth. 

We are also on the waitlist for Starlink. My coworkers who already set up Starlink say its amazing.

Hope this helps! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2021 7:55 pm
(@tobywoodson)

@leezak we are on the waitlist for Starlink too. Any idea when it’s coming our way?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2021 12:13 pm
 T O
(@to)
Member Admin

I've been periodically checking the launch schedule for Starlink. Here's the link: https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Unfortunately, a lot of factors are in play that have delayed implementation according to reports I've read. Mr. Musk is quick with optimistic assurances but is less than prompt in updating us with hard news about how things are actually going. Oh well, I see zero options on the horizon that can or could comparably compete with his solution. 

I guess patience remains a virtue as applied to space tech?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 19, 2021 1:00 pm
(@leezak)
Member Moderator

@tobywoodson my account says "Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021." 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2021 7:59 am
(@suzanned)

We are on Fairpoint internet and it is horrible!  We are also on the waitlist for Starlink.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2021 1:02 pm