Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Short-Term Rentals Allowed or Not Allowed

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@jackz)

9 +/- Homes in the Zapata subdivision have been identified as offering Short-Term Rentals for overnight stays lasting less than 30 days.

Topic Tags
7 Replies
3 Replies
(@breckenfeld)

@jackz 

Our home in the HOA has a dozen visitors or so per year but it is not a typical STR since it is not advertised to the public at all.  Our visitors are only close friends and ministry groups who often repeat each year.  

(@jackz)

@breckenfeld Bruce, thank you for the question. The target for the discussion is the growing number of non owner occupied Commercial STRs, that use organizations like airbnb, etc., that are poping up. You know your guests and they understand the rules and regulations. Follow along as we develop a policy for STRs, or add to the discussion. How do communities in your area handle STRs?

(@breckenfeld)

The communities in the Dallas suburbs are struggling with the same issues on STR's which are primarily noise and parking.

(@miles-la-hue)

According to the newsletter there is a survey somewhere on the website here. I’m not finding it. Can someone help me please?

1 Reply
 T O
Registered
(@to)

Eminent Member

@miles-la-hue 

The poll/survey and a number of forum comments were removed due to a technical issue. Since then a subcommittee has been formed to discuss and address the topic. Subscribe to this topic and contribute to the current discussion while we look into recovering the lost data.

A new poll/survey will likely be posted on this thread at some time in the near future. Hopefully the subcommittee will post to this forum so that other members can keep up with the committee's progress.

(@miles-la-hue)

I do not know what impacts the vacation rentals has had on Zapata. I would like to know. Privacy and/or security, and/or safety. We have those concerns but have no experience with abuses in Zapata. Hopefully there is a succinct piece of paper I could read that quantizes the problems. Our biggest worry by far is the casual use of fire, and smoking.  Here in Boulder the Calwood fire is rumored to have been ignited by careless marijuana use, which burned 20 houses. Cigarette butts have burned down 61 houses in my district. It is easy to have rules like no shooting and no incendiaries (sp?), and no campfires. It is another thing enforcing it when the host is not present. I think in order to rent there must be a direct supervisor, not the cleaning person, and not the owner in Alamosa, someone that lives there to keep an eye on the rental directly.  I think also the gate should have an individual code for each day that is specific to that day and only that day. If a person is there for 3 days they get 3 gate codes. Then people won’t be using the code from last February to get in and check things out now. That would be an upgrade to what we have now but the STR landlords should pay for that. No renter should leave the parcel the house they are renting is on. 

Registered
(@forrest)

Interesting ideas……